ATHLETIC UPDATE 4/20/2021
Hello Curtis Families,
ATHLETIC UPDATE: Curtis High School is prepared to start season 3 athletics on May 3rd, with the exception of girls lacrosse which starts on April 26th. These activities are available to all 9 – 12 grade students. Recent guidelines from the Washington State Department of Health (DOH) have allowed the Washington Interscholastic Activities Association (WIAA) and local leagues to train and compete within the guidelines.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION – Get Ready, but be flexible – subject to change
April 26th – Girls Lacrosse
May 3rd – Boys and Girls Basketball, Girls Bowling, Boys Lacrosse, Boys Tennis, Boys and Girls Water Polo, and Boys and Girls Wrestling.
Prior to the start of the season, ALL student-athletes must have completed the “VIKS CLEARED TO PARTICIPATE” process. Please pay close attention to the details in this letter and follow all steps. If you registered for out of season activities, you are cleared and just need to purchase an ASB card and pay any fines.
“VIKS CLEARED TO PARTICIPATE” PROCESS
- Register online at REGISTER HERE
- Please DO NOT register as a guest. Either use the first time user, returning user or forgot your password link. If you need help, please contact Shelly Nyegaard at 253.566.5710, ext. 2152.
- ASB cards must be purchased through Intouch. If the ASB card is not purchased it will be added as a fine to the student’s account. This can also be done in person at student accounts.
- All fines must be paid through Intouch. This can also be done in person at student accounts.
If your child qualifies for free or reduced-price meals, they may be eligible for decreased fees to participate in school activities. This form is optional, and submitting/not submitting this form will not affect your child’s eligibility for free or reduced-price meals, or milk. By completing the form and checking the box you authorize eligibility status to be shared for each child listed to determine decreased fees. This authorizes release of name and eligibility status only, no other information or demographics will be shared. Submit form by clicking on the following link: CONSENT TO SHARE CHILD NUTRITION PROGRAM ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION
UNIFIED SPORTS: “Unified Sports® is an inclusive program which combines individuals with intellectual disabilities (athletes) and individuals without intellectual disabilities (partners) on sports teams for training and competition. Athletes and partners compete alongside one another, each in a meaningful and integral role on the Unified Sports team.” At Curtis, we are really excited to implement this program during a time where we are all learning from home. We hope that this program will lead to new friendships, improved self-esteem, and positive changes in attitude and behavior. Unified Sports can be very fitness based, so get ready to improve athletic ability and performance!
Currently, Unified Sports will take place virtually as an extracurricular activity and a club. Ready to commit? Submit your teammate agreement form. Unified Sports Sign Up Form
We will be starting soccer in the Spring. We hope to expand our sport offerings in the 2021-2022 school year. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me at my email: email@example.com
SAFETY: The safety of our student-athletes and coaches is our number one priority as we begin athletics. We have established strict safety protocols.
- Students should arrive prepared to practice or compete, wear a mask, bring their own water, and stay at least 6 feet apart when possible.
- At check-in students will sanitize their hands, attest to having no Covid19 symptoms and have their temperature recorded.
- Students should be prepared for practice or competition upon arrival. Locker rooms will not be available until further notice.
- At this time activities are limited to coaches and student-athletes only. No other spectators are permitted.
- Students will sanitize their hands regularly throughout the session and prior to departure.
If you wish to view or discuss these safety protocols please contact me directly. Our coaches have been trained in the safety protocols and our student-athletes will be expected to follow them at all times while on campus.
NEW STUDENTS: If you have transferred to Curtis in the past 12 months and are hoping to participate this year in athletics and played a sport at a different high school, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can start the eligibility process.
We are looking forward to the restart of high school athletics! You can always find the latest athletic information at CURTIS ATHLETICS.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out. Go Viks!!
Suzanne Vick, Curtis High School Athletic Director
Washington Sporting Activities COVID-19 Guidance – school and community sport information begins on page 3
DOH Risk Assessment Dashboard – Look under Reports for the weekly Phase data each Friday